Check Out Our Shop
Page 533 of 537 FirstFirst ... 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 LastLast
Results 13,301 to 13,325 of 13413

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Currently, I am hosting photos elsewhere and adding them from a URL. Using Pinkbike for this is actually pretty easy, assuming its bike related...
    Interesting. I have used hostgator for hosting pics for a few years now and just copy in the image address (URL) with IMG tags. I noticed a while back none of the pics in my past TRs display anymore. I can make it work from using a pic from a random website (AZ sunset pic below) but not from Hostgator (sunrise pic that doesn't display). Looks like older TRs using photobucket also don't display pics. Both hostgator and photobucket links work on some other local forums I post on. I removed the last ] so the text will show. Curious why linking will work from random sites but not from hostgator/instagram.

My own photo from hostgator (nothing displays):

[img]http://www.habventures.com/photos/03-Socal/PalmSpringsRiding/PCESuperMega_11-21-20.jpg[/img

Photo from random website (photo shows up fine)

[img]https://arizona-content.usedirect.com/storage/gallery/0004/0024/A939DF2F81DE4CAAA4A510CA966C7C84/large.jpg[/img

Trying from Google photos...even this works now (have never been able to get it to work before)

Last edited by evdog; 04-24-2024 at 03:16 PM.

Nice, that's pretty easy (Google photos URL / IMG tags), since all my photos get uploaded there anyways. With forum upload, I'd have to go and download the images then upload them onto TGR.

Its great for a single photo. For a full TR it would be a PITA.

Bike choice question for an upcoming race. I think it's roughly 40% road, 40% gravel rail trail, 10% bumpy farm fields and 10% mud shoots. Pretty flat with one fairly big steep muddy climb.

40% chance of rain as of now.

Road bike (Giant Contend) with 38C gravel tires

or

Full squish Mtb (Giant Trance)

Leaning towards to mtb due to the bit of mud, but tempted to try the road bike for the pedaling efficiency.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Bike choice question for an upcoming race. I think it's roughly 40% road, 40% gravel rail trail, 10% bumpy farm fields and 10% mud shoots. Pretty flat with one fairly big steep muddy climb.

40% chance of rain as of now.

Road bike (Giant Contend) with 38C gravel tires

or

Full squish Mtb (Giant Trance)

Leaning towards to mtb due to the bit of mud, but tempted to try the road bike for the pedaling efficiency.

Any thoughts?
    Depends - do you care what place you finish in?

Yeah I should have clarified, I'm not a racer, just doing this for fun. I have been on the trainer all winter and feel really confident though. I'm usually a jittery mess before these things but not this time. But yeah my class is really stacked from what I hear, I don't think I'll even be in the top 50%.

Take the road bike
    crab in my shoe mouth

<snip> just doing this for fun.
    Sounds like instead of choosing between a mtb and a road bike you should be seeking therapy.

100% road bike w 80% of the effort being applicable. Racing or not, it’s pretty sole sucking to be riding a full squish bike onroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sounds like instead of choosing between a mtb and a road bike you should be seeking therapy.

You don't know the half of it.

It doesn't finish at the start so there's a slew of logistics issues. Not too bad if you're in a group but I'm solo. Take a glance at the Logistics page - http://www.parisancaster.com/P2ALogistics.html if you need your eyes to glaze over for any reason lol.

It's also ~two hours away from me, and plate pick up day is a day prior to the event. Also the weather is always notoriously bad, as an added bonus!

You don't know the half of it.

It doesn't finish at the start so there's a slew of logistics issues. Not too bad if you're in a group but I'm solo. Take a glance at the Logistics page - http://www.parisancaster.com/P2ALogistics.html if you need your eyes to glaze over for any reason lol.

It's also ~two hours away from me, and plate pick up day is a day prior to the event. Also the weather is always notoriously bad, as an added bonus!
    Well done, man... well done indeed.

Thanks, I think.

Carbon nerds: I think this is the year for me for new hoops. I'm envisioning keeping my stock rims for park duty and having a swappable set to move between my downcountry rig and 160 mil bike as the mood strikes.

1) Cost savings of building your own wheel vs frustration factor: Worth it?
    2) Alternatively, used carbon... There are some tempting deals to be had. Am I taking my life in my hands going used? Any manufacturers or models to stay away from?
    3) My swapping plan will unfortunately mean trying to mate an XT cogset with a GX deraileur and vice versa. I know the bike won't explode necessarily, but is there one combo that is least conflict-prone? (i.e a GX cogset playing better with a XT deraileur than an XT cogset plays with a GX deraileur)

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post
    Carbon nerds: I think this is the year for me for new hoops. I'm envisioning keeping my stock rims for park duty and having a swappable set to move between my downcountry rig and 160 mil bike as the mood strikes.

2) Alternatively, used carbon... There are some tempting deals to be had. Am I taking my life in my hands going used? Any manufacturers or models to stay away from?
    3) My swapping plan will unfortunately mean trying to mate an XT cogset with a GX deraileur and vice versa. I know the bike won't explode necessarily, but is there one combo that is least conflict-prone? (i.e a GX cogset playing better with a XT deraileur than an XT cogset plays with a GX deraileur)
    1) for most reputable brands I've seen, you don't really save much money building your own wheel vs. buying complete. But if you already have a nice set of hubs, I'd probably build myself. Kinda just comes down to how comfortable you are building wheels.

2) buying used seems like a crapshoot. I'd say a warranty is worth having, and you probably don't get one if you buy used.

3) I think it'll work either way. Personally I'd rather have a sram shifter / deraileur with a shimano cassette / chain.

Does the TGR expert community have any insight on best / easiest ways to purge excess negative pressure in a Zeb beyond what Copilot offered up?

If you’re experiencing issues with negative air pressure in your Zeb Select fork, there are a few steps you can take to address it:

Equalize Positive and Negative Air Pressures:
    - DebonAir+ forks, including the Zeb Select, benefit from equalizing positive and negative air pressures. This ensures accurate pressurization of the air spring.

Here’s what you can do:
    - Compress the fork through at least 50% of its travel five times. This helps balance the air pressures.
    - Pressurize the air spring to the recommended starting pressure once more.
    Remove the pump after setting the pressure12.

Check for Grease or Blockages:
    - Sometimes excess grease or blockages in the air spring can cause issues. If you’re comfortable with tools, consider the following:
    -- Remove the air spring assembly.
    -- Clean it thoroughly to ensure there’s no excess grease or debris.
    -- Reassemble and re-grease as needed33.

Inspect Seals and Bushings:
    - While you’re at it, inspect the seals and bushings. Damaged or worn seals can affect performance.
    - Consider replacing them with fresh ones if necessary33.
    Consider Upgrading Seals:
    - If you’re disassembling the fork, you might want to upgrade the seals. Green SKF seals are known for their durability and performance.
    - Fresh crush washers for the lower bolts are also a good idea33.

Remember to follow proper procedures and safety precautions when working on your fork. If these steps don’t resolve the issue, it’s advisable to consult a professional bike mechanic or contact the manufacturer for further assistance

Had a road ride on the mtb and it felt great. But I appreciate and respect the input I get when I post questions here so I'll go with the road bike. It's off the trainer and working good so all is well, thanks all who chimed in.

EDIT race day is rain all day!
    Last edited by Thaleia; 04-26-2024 at 09:52 PM. Reason: rain ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post
    Wheel building is a passion project. It's a fun hobby. It's bragging rights. It's the single most satisfying thing you can do wrenching on bikes.
    In the early days of cheap chinese carbon hoops you could build a DT350 hub onto Nextie rims and spend $600 bucks for front and rear, and the name brand carbonz were going to cost you 3-5x as much. Now all the wheel parts are more expensive if doing your own build, while name brand hoops are more "affordable" and come with sick warranties.
    For some folks building wheels is rewarding and they won't shut up about it.
    For some folks, buying a $1500 wheelset is rewarding and they won't shut up about it.
    It's just different.
    If you're buying a used carbon wheelset, ask yourself how much the hubs are worth. Because that's what you're left with when the rim inevitably cracks. You won't die, but you will be dying inside when you realize the original owner you bought them from a year ago won't help facilitate a warranty return for you.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Wheel building is a passion project. It's a fun hobby.
    With some help from this thread, I’ve built 4 now. I’d do it again. They’ve worked perfectly, but if something was amiss, I’d prolly know why, since I was there tightening every nipple. Lots of wheel building YouTubes too.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Wheel building is a passion project. It's a fun hobby. It's bragging rights. It's the single most satisfying thing you can do wrenching on bikes.
    In the early days of cheap chinese carbon hoops you could build a DT350 hub onto Nextie rims and spend $600 bucks for front and rear, and the name brand carbonz were going to cost you 3-5x as much. Now all the wheel parts are more expensive if doing your own build, while name brand hoops are more "affordable" and come with sick warranties.
    For some folks building wheels is rewarding and they won't shut up about it.
    For some folks, buying a $1500 wheelset is rewarding and they won't shut up about it.
    It's just different.
    If you're buying a used carbon wheelset, ask yourself how much the hubs are worth. Because that's what you're left with when the rim inevitably cracks. You won't die, but you will be dying inside when you realize the original owner you bought them from a year ago won't help facilitate a warranty return for you.
    Yeah, for most people wheelbuilding is something to do when you want something specific/oddball that just isn’t commercially available. Weird hub you really want to use, strange sizes, etc.

Different if you have done it a bunch of times, have special tools, and can do it quickly with good tension…but most people will spend a lot more time building it. Many will also end up paying a shop for a final tension and true…

My last wheel build was 26” rims to a Bendix kickback hub…. Not buying that setup new.

How steep is Utah NICA race? 30t/46t cut it for junior high?

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Dilemma is 104 bcd, hg and 11 speed derailleur. Supposedly I could sacrifice an extra micro spine 29" and go 12 speed but I'm a few inches away from the 27.5 jump to 29er. Supposedly I guess I could put a 52t hg cassette and Shimano 12speed derailleur with 11 speed shifter, correct?

Wheel size is relevant as is the strength of the kid. 30x46 on a 26” is going to be easier than 30x50 on a 29.

Dilemma is 104 bcd, hg and 11 speed derailleur. Supposedly I could sacrifice an extra micro spine 29" and go 12 speed but I'm a few inches away from the 27.5 jump to 29er. Supposedly I guess I could put a 52t hg cassette and Shimano 12speed derailleur with 11 speed shifter, correct?

I've ridden most of the Nica courses in Utah, most of the climbs are going to be relatively short and not super steep. The Snow Basin probably has the steepest climbing in it off the start line
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/jhs...e-course-2263/

, but most of it is going to be like this: https://www.trailforks.com/route/pow...-uhscl-course/

That said, you can go pre ride some trail with them and see how they feel about it.
    Last edited by sfotex; 04-28-2024 at 11:52 AM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Apologies if there is already a thread about this, couldn't find one.

This season is likely to include much more bike park riding than ever for me, and I might enter some enduro races as well. Any recommendations for chest/back armor for these two use cases? It seems like the two main categories of torso protection these days are under-the-jersey garments with pads built in, and moto-style roost guards. Any reason I should go with one over the other? Any particular recs for a skinny boi (5'9" 135lbs)? Thanks!
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike